Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pico de Gallo Crostini


Okay, I know Pico de Gallo is a Mexican condiment

and Crostini is an Italian appetizer,

but they go so well together...

Multicultural is good!

Just a note before we go on...

Nothing in this recipe is homemade, 

more like home-assembled.

And sometimes those are the best kinds of recipes!


This is a great light meal (I mean light as in not heavy, not light as in low calorie). It works well for us as a Sunday evening meal since we usually eat our large Sunday meal right after church. Recently I made these crostini and served them with a fresh vegetable salad and some watermelon chunks ~ I'm rushing springtime, but it tastes sooo good! GoodMan and I don't like wine, but in my imagination this would be a perfect dinner with a glass of wine...somebody try it and let me know if I'm right!

This is how I make (assemble) them:

I start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Then I slice a loaf of "good" bread (not gummy white bread ~ this loaf is a crusty Italian bread, but it would be good with any firm bread).

 I brush both sides of the slices with olive oil, and then put them in the oven.

I toast the slices for about 5 minutes on each side (watch carefully, the undersides brown before the tops).


As I said, I did not make any of the ingredients, I simply assemble them. For the assembly I gather a container of pico de gallo, which is a fresh salsa made with fresh tomatoes, onions and some type of chilies. I find mine in the produce section of the grocery store. These days most grocery stores carry a fresh pico de gallo. I also get a package of Philadelphia whipped cream cheese chive and onion flavor. I buy the 1/3 less fat so these must be healthy!

First, I spread the warm toasts with the chive and onion flavored cream cheese, then I spoon the pico de gallo on top...


That's it! It's that easy. I would encourage you to eat them while they are still warm...but...
These two leftover pieces were eaten cold...and it didn't seem to matter!

This is the recipe for Pico de Gallo Crostini

one loaf of bread sliced about 1/2 inch thick
olive oil
1 package of soft cream cheese, chive and onion flavor
8 oz of fresh Pico de Gallo

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Lay bread slices on a cookie sheet and brush both sides with olive oil.
Bake about 5 minutes, or until golden brown on under sides of the bread.
Flip the bread over and allow the other side to become golden, approximately another 5 minutes.
While still warm, spread cream cheese on toasted bread slices.
Spoon Pico de Gallo on the top of the cream cheese.
Serve while still warm.

What is the taste tester's bottom line?
I've been making this for a few years and I never have leftovers for more than a couple of hours. These go fast! I like the level of spice in the Pico de Gallo I buy at my local Meijer store, but I bought some in Texas that was too hot...I just chopped an extra tomato and brought the heat level right down.


The bottom line: Pico de Gallo is a Mexican condiment and Crostini is an Italian appetizer...My family likes being multi-cultural!! 

Do you have an easy "assembly" recipe? If so, please share!

2 comments:

  1. Try the fresh salsa [Pico de Gallo] from Sam's Club~really good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm...I'll have to pick some up the next time I'm in the big city.

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise