Friday, February 24, 2012

Crock Pot BBQ Ribs

BBQ ribs from a crock pot? Yes, really!

I wish I was better at photography...

or maybe with photo editing...

because this photo doesn't do them justice.

You'll have to take my word for it...these ribs were wonderful! 

I was wandering around the Pinterest boards looking for recipes I'd like to make for my taste testers when I came across this one linked to a website called "mmmisformommy.com" . Thankfully the lady who runs that blog is much better at photography than I am. Her photo enticed me enough to try this recipe, and I'm glad I did! If you have a moment you should check out her blog.

This is what I did to make these Crock Pot Ribs:

 I prepared 4 pounds of beef ribs. At this point I just opened the package, rinsed them off and patted them dry. I put them on a cutting board as I prepared the dry rub.

I mixed the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl and then rubbed it on the ribs ~ front and back.


I stood the ribs up along the sides of my crock pot with the meaty sides toward the walls of the crock pot and the bone-side toward the center.


I poured the BBQ sauce over the ribs and then put the lid on the crock pot and turned the crock pot on low for 6 hours.


When the time was up I prepared a baking sheet by lining it with foil and then topping it with a rack.  


I carefully took the ribs out of the crock pot and placed them on the prepared rack, meaty side down. Then I poured the BBQ sauce from the crock pot into a small saucepan (I skimmed off as much fat as I could) and brought it to a boil on top of the stove. I let it cook for about 10 minutes to reduce the sauce and thicken it. While this was going on I turned my oven's broiler on and positioned my oven rack about 10 inches from the broiler unit.

I forgot to take pictures of this part ~ when the BBQ sauce had thickened I brushed it on the back side of the ribs. Then I put the ribs in to broil for about 3 minutes. I pulled them out and gently turned them over, brushed the meaty sides with the sauce and then put them back in to broil for another 3 minutes.




Like I said before, my photography skills don't represent these adequately. These ribs are a pile of yummy, finger licking, BBQ goodness. They were just screamin' for a side of home made potato salad and some iced tea...but then it is mid-February so we made do with some fried potato slices and broccoli spears.

This is the recipe:

3 tbl paprika
2 tbl brown sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (don't skip this ~ it is not at all spicy)
1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper
4 lbs beef (or pork) baby back ribs 
3 cups BBQ sauce (your favorite brand is fine ~ I used KC Masterpiece)

In a small bowl, mix together paprika, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Rub mixture all over both sides of the ribs. Stand the ribs against the wall of the crock pot with the meaty side against the pot. Pour barbecue sauce over the ribs, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

After the crock pot time is done, prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil and putting a rack on top. Carefully remove the ribs from the crock pot and place on the rack, meaty side down. Pour the BBQ sauce into a saucepan and skim off as much fat as you can. Cook the sauce on top of the stove for about 10 minutes or so to allow the sauce to reduce down and get thicker.

Heat up the broiler. Brush the reduced and thickened BBQ sauce on the backs of the ribs and broil about 10 inches from the heating element for about 3 minutes. Take back out of the oven and carefully turn the ribs over. Brush with more BBQ sauce and return to the broiler for another 3 minutes. Brush with more BBQ sauce just before serving.


What is the taste tester's bottom line?

These were very, very good! Even though these ribs were "finger-lickin'-good", they were really messy so I served them with a wet wash cloth at each place setting so hands could be washed as necessary without getting up from the table.

Bottom line: I'm watching for sales on baby back ribs (either pork or beef) so I can make these again!!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise