Tuesday, March 6, 2012

"Almost Elvis" French Toast

It was a snowy Saturday morning in February.

One of the few Saturdays we didn't have little people around.

And I wanted to try a new breakfast recipe.

I asked GoodMan, "Want to try something new for breakfast?"

Now you need to know, every morning 
GoodMan eats a special cereal mix he creates
...EVERY morning.

Well, that's not exactly true...
Once in a while he'll eat eggs ~ but not often.

Being a good sport, and knowing I'm trying
 new recipes for my blog, he said okay...
until he saw me gather the ingredients... 

With wide eyes he asked, "What are you making?"

I rambled as I responded, "Did you know Elvis used to like peanut butter and banana sandwiches?"...(with pickles ~ but don't tell GoodMan). And I asked him to imagine he was at a bed and breakfast and this was the special breakfast they served...and anyway...

~At this point he knew 
there was no getting out of it...

He rolled his eyes...
then agreed to be my taste tester.

(The man is a saint!)

The first thing I did was make two peanut butter and banana sandwiches on whole wheat bread.


I added a tablespoon of butter to my frying pan and turned the stove on medium high.



I beat two eggs and a splash of orange juice in a dish and added a pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon.



I dipped the sandwiches in the egg mixture and then put them in the heated fry pan.

 I let them cook on one side until golden brown. It took about 3 minutes.

 I flipped them over and cooked them another 2 minutes or so ~ watching to make sure they didn't get too brown.


I served them with additional banana slices, some raspberry and blueberry syrup and a tall glass of milk.




And this is the result!


Recipe for Almost Elvis French Toast:

4 slices whole wheat bread (stale bread works best)
3 tablespoons peanut butter
3 bananas
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons orange juice
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
berry flavored syrup

Spread peanut butter on four slices of wheat bread. Slice 2 bananas to cover two of the slices of bread. Put the other two slices of bread on top of the banana slices to make a sandwich.
In a dish, mix the beaten eggs and the spices.
Melt butter in a fry pan over medium high heat.
Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture and then put them in the fry pan.
Cook on one side for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn over and cook on the other side about 2 more minutes or until that side is golden. Watch carefully to make sure they do not over cook.
Serve sliced in half with the remaining banana sliced over the top. Provide berry flavored syrup as topping.

What is the taste tester's bottom line?

GoodMan thought I was a little heavy handed with the peanut butter (as if there could be such a thing!), but he had no trouble finishing his breakfast. I thought it was good, especially with the berry syrup. It was a lot to eat, but as you'll notice by the last photo, we were up to the challenge.

The bottom line ~ If this had been served at a bed and breakfast I would have been impressed, and I would have been telling all my friends about it. Because this is so rich I will save this recipe for a special occasion (and I'll make sure to use less peanut butter in GoodMan's portion).
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise