Thursday, February 9, 2012

Stawberry Angel Dream Cake

 

Wow! Isn't that just the prettiest thing you ever saw? Almost too pretty to eat...Almost.
This gorgeous creation started out as a recipe I found on the Kraft foods website. The main tweak I made was making my own angel food cake in a bundt pan instead of using a prepared (store bought) angel food cake. What caught my eye was not only the beauty of this dish, but the 140 calories per portion. This just seemed like a dessert I could serve my family without guilt.
Here's how I started...



The ingredients I gathered were a quart of strawberries, an angel food cake mix (and the 1 1/4 cup of water it called for), 1/2 package of cream cheese (the 1/3 less fat kind), an orange, sugar and Cool Whip Lite.




  The first thing I did was to make the angel food cake according to the package directions. I took pictures of that process, but as it turned out I didn't have a memory card in my camera...sooo...let's just pick it up here. I used a decorative bundt pan. I LOVE my bundt pan, but it was a bit of a challenge getting the cake out of the pan...just too many nooks and crannies. I held back three cups of the batter and put it in a loaf pan because my bundt pan doesn't hold as much as a tube pan. I even thought about buying a premade angel food cake (oh I know you sometimes cheat with store-bought too!), but my grocery store was out of them. As it turns out I like the look of this cake, and the extra loaf of angel food cake will work for a meal I'm taking to a young couple from church just home from the hospital with a new baby, so it's all good.
  After letting the cake cool I sliced the cake in half horizontally.


Just like so...a bit of a crumbly mess, but easy enough to clean up. I set the two halves aside while I made the filling.


I grated the orange peel, making sure to avoid the white membrane which is bitter.



Then I used that orange to squeeze for the 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice I needed.



I put the orange zest, orange juice, sugar and cream cheese in my electric mixer's bowl and mixed on low for about 2 minutes until it was smooth.



Next I added the Cool Whip and beat again for about 1 minute, just to combine the ingredients.



At this point I took the bowl off the mixer and gently folded in the chopped strawberries...oh my goodness, this is smelling so yummy!



I used about 2/3 off the bowl of fluffy wonderment as filling between the two layers and the remaining 1/3 was used to frost the top. Then I decorated the cake with extra strawberries cut in halves and pieces. I immediately put the carrier cover on this and put it in my car (out in the cold February weather) so I wouldn't be tempted to have "just a taste" before taking it to my taste testers for dessert later that evening.



Here is the recipe:

Strawberry Angel Dream Cake
(called "Strawberry and Cream Angel Cake" On the Kraft Foods website)

1 quart strawberries (approx 3 cups), divided
4 oz Philadelphia Brand 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese
2 tbl sugar
1 1/2 tsp orange zest
1 tbl fresh squeezed orange juice
2 cups Cool Whip Lite
1 prepared angel food cake (10-inch), cut in half horizontally

Chop 2 cups of strawberries and set aside the remaining strawberries to use as decorations.
Beat cream cheese, sugar, orange zest and orange juice with a mixer until well blended. Add Cool Whip and beat for another 1 minute on low, just until blended.
Fold in chopped strawberries.
Spread 2/3 of the strawberry mixture on the bottom half of the cake. Cover with the top of the cake and the remaining 1/3 of the mixture.
Decorate the cake with the strawberries that were set aside.

What was the taste tester's bottom line?
This recipe looks so beautiful! The taste testers (three grandchildren) had a hard time waiting for dessert-time. All three gave this recipe an enthusiastic thumb's up! GoodMan wondered if it really needed the orange flavor ~ but I thought the orange flavor added a note of complexity to this simple cake.



There wasn't much left after everyone had seconds!

Bottom line: This one's a keeper.


4 comments:

  1. Aunt Denise, I have been CRAVING angel food cake and this looks amazing! I will definitely be trying this recipe when I get home : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is good! I hope you have a wonderful trip to Europe...I'll be anxious to hear all about it! Maybe you could bring me a recipe or an idea for a dish for my blog from your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks so good & you have broken it down into no fail steps! Thank you!!! I'm going to try it today rather than making my family if 16 individual strawberry shortcakes.

      Delete
    2. This looks so good & you have broken it down into no fail steps! Thank you!!! I'm going to try it today rather than making my family if 16 individual strawberry shortcakes.

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise