Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lemon Ginger Fish and Vegetables in a Packet

 This is a lovely fish dinner...
 Cod seasoned with lemon and ginger on a bed of green beans, 
and orange and yellow peppers.
As a side dish I made a potato and tomato salad (I'll post that recipe soon.)


The fish and veggies bake in a parchment paper packet.
Each serving is wrapped in it's own packet,
which makes it kind of like a present you open up for dinner.

This is how I put them together...

 I gathered the ingredients: fish fillets, green beans, red and orange sweet peppers, shallot, ginger, salt, pepper, lemon and flat leaf parsley.

I preheated the oven to 375 degrees, then I cleaned and chopped the vegetables.

 I cut a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the fish and veggies, and layered the green beans, sweet peppers, shallots and about 1/4 teaspoon ginger (I use the ginger in a tube rather than grate fresh ginger).

 I put the fish fillet on top of the vegetables, sprinkled salt and pepper on the fish, then layered the flat leaf parsley, slices of lemon, and a pat of butter.

 I wrapped up the packets like big pieces of fishy candy...no need for tape or other types of closure. Then I put them in the preheated oven and baked them for 30 minutes.

When they were done I put one packet on each plate and let each person open their own packet. We did end up taking our fish and veggies out of the packets and put them on plates, but they can be eaten right out of the paper packets.


I served our fish with a potato and tomato salad for extra color and texture.

The official recipe for Lemon Ginger Fish and Vegetables in a Packet
(quantity of each item varies depending on the number of packets you're making)

fish fillets
green beans, trimmed
red and yellow sweet pepper slices
shallot, thinly sliced
grated ginger
salt and pepper
lemon, sliced
flat leaf parsley
butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut parchment paper into squares large enough to envelope one serving of fish and vegetables.
Layer vegetables on the paper. First green beans, then peppers and shallots. Add the ginger and mix to distribute the ginger throughout the veggies.
Put fish fillet on top of vegetables.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Put lemon slices on top and add flat leaf parsley.
Put a pat of butter on the top.
Wrap parchment paper around the fish and veggies and twist the ends to seal.
Put on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
Serve individually and let each person open their own packet.




What was the taste tester's bottom line?
  GoodMan enjoys fish...and he especially enjoys eating a healthy fish recipe...so this was right up his alley. He did suggest that I mix the ginger throughout the veggies next time so he doesn't bite into a "pocket of ginger", but otherwise he was very enthusiastic about this recipe.
  As usual, fish is not my first choice for dinner. But I could eat this again, so I guess that is as good a recommendation as any fish dinner can get from me.


The bottom line: I will make this again. I would like to try this with other kinds of fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise