Monday, April 23, 2012

Two Duds ~ Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes and Mississippi Pot Roast



Each time I try a new recipe there is a distinct chance it could be a dud. Of course I try to find recipes I think my taste tester's will like, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. It's always hard to share the duds, but you probably wouldn't believe me when I tell you how good a recipe is if you thought I never make a bad one. So it's time to catch up on some duds...oh, how I dread talking about the recipes that don't appeal to my taste testers...But I said I'd tell you what works and what doesn't and these are the "doesn'ts".

First, I did what everyone tells you not to do...I tried out a new recipe on a holiday. This past Easter weekend most of my kids and their families were visiting. I put together a meal plan for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and another breakfast for about 25 people. I had a big dinner planned, so I tried to make the other meals easier. I found what I thought was a good idea on Pinterest for the lunch meal. It was Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes, which were to be served on toasted buns with melted provolone cheese. Not one person who tried it gave it a "thumbs-up". Since everyone knows I try these recipes out for my blog they were full of suggestions, but the best suggestion I got was to go back to the Crock Pot Shredded French Dip recipe I've served before. I will take pictures of that recipe the next time I make it and I know I'll get "thumbs-up" on that one. Sometimes it's just smart to make what you know everyone will like.


Mississippi Pot Roast ~ almost

My second dud is another recipe I found while searching the internet. I saw a recipe for Mississippi Pot Roast using beef roast, ranch dressing mix, au jus mix, a stick of butter, and pepperoncini peppers. A whole stick of butter in a recipe for roast beef seemed like a lot. In the "comments" section of that blog one person said they substitute a can of beer for the butter. I decided to try it. My first problem was I got the roast out of the freezer the day before I wanted to serve it and the next day when I went to put everything in the crock pot I realized I had gotten a pork roast out of the freezer ~ not a beef roast! Oh well, I was committed now, so I put everything in the crock pot and hoped for the best. Well, I don't know how it would have tasted with butter and beef, but the beer with pork was way too strong. I don't think I'll try the recipe with the butter because I don't want to find out I like a roast beef recipe that I have to add a stick of butter to.

There you have it. I've fessed up to two complete failures. Does anyone else out there want to share a recipe failure?

2 comments:

  1. Here are two more you can add to your list:
    Beer Crockpot chicken (tasteless chicken)and Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream (over powering
    banana taste)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I'll keep those off my "recipes to try" list.
      I'm not sure why the blog won't let you sign in with your real name. Other people have been able to do it, and some people prefer to be anonymous. If I figure something out I'll let you know.

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise