Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grilled Pork Loin Chops


When I was a kid I really didn't like pork chops. I remember them being very dry and as tough as shoe leather. Back in those days people were warned to cook their pork to a very well done stage in order to avoid trichinosis (a parasitic disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork). I never understood why people would pay money for the meat and then cook it until it didn't taste good. The only way I ever saw it cooked was pan fried with just salt and pepper.  

When I was about 10 years old Shake 'n Bake was introduced. Shake 'n Bake is a product that mimics the texture on the outside of fried foods similar to a bread crumb coating. The coated meat is then baked in the oven. This method of cooking pork chops produced a moister chop, but my mother wasn't convinced they were cooked all the way through until they were baked and baked and baked...dry, dry, dry. So I still didn't like pork chops.

One day about 10 years ago I was watching a morning television show (I can't remember which one, probably Regis and Kathy Lee) and they had a cooking segment showing how to cook moist pork loin chops. The person demonstrating the method told the audience they don't have to cook their chops to death. That it is very rare for American pork to carry the trichinosis parasite, and  slight pink color is actually fine for pork. This sure was news to me, but since then I've heard that same thing over and over again. I decided to try cooking pork myself.

I'm happy to say I've found a method of cooking pork chops that keeps them moist and flavorful, and at the same time is safe for my family to eat. Let me show you how I do it.

 I gather the ingredients: boneless pork loin chops about 1/2" thick, olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, chopped fresh garlic, and a gallon size zip lock bag.

 I lay the chops out on a board and drizzle olive oil all over them. Then I sprinkle salt, pepper, and chopped garlic on top and massage it all over the top side. Then I turn them over and do the same thing to the other side.

 Then I put them in the large zip lock bag, close it tightly, and then massage the seasonings around some more as I put it in the refrigerator to marinate. I try to marinate them like this for a few hours, but I've been known to do this just before I cook them. A few hours is best, but any length of time is better than nothing.

 I like to grill these chops on my outdoor BBQ grill, but if the weather doesn't permit it (or I haven't cleaned the grill since getting it out of its winter storage in the garage), I use my cast iron grill pan, or even my George Forman Grill. When I use the indoor method I usually add a small amount of olive oil to the pan and heat the pan to medium high before I add the meat. I cook each side about 7 minutes until the inside is just past the light pink stage. Usually I cut into one to make sure they are cooked enough (my mom's fear has left it's mark on me). When I pull these off the grill or out of the pan I put them on a serving dish and cover them with foil. I let them "rest" for at least 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute through the meat. 

These are the tenderest, juciest pork chops you will ever eat. I know a lot of people who only like bone-in pork chops because they believe the flavor is better. I find these chops to be super flavorful, and I don't have to eat around a sharp bone.  I like to find chops that are no thicker then 3/4". Any thicker and you have to cook them a long time to make the center done enough, and by that time the outsides get charred. I also don't like to get the thin cut chops because they cook too quickly, and it's hard to get them off the grill before they are overcooked.


I hope you'll try this method of cooking pork chops either on your BBQ grill or indoors on a grill pan. If you have a great method for maintaining the moisture in your pork chops I'd love to hear about it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise