Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day ~ Deli Style

What do you do with leftover corned beef after your
St. Patrick's day boiled dinner?

Truthfully, I wouldn't know...
I don't think we've ever had leftover corned beef.
My family LOVES corned beef!

St Patrick's Day has some things in common 
with Thanksgiving, we want leftovers!  

This corned beef sandwich fills the bill. 
It's not a Reuben, because I don't like sauerkraut.

This is a sandwich I enjoyed 
when I was growing up.
I don't think we lived near an Irish community ~ 
at least I wasn't aware of it.
But we did live near a Jewish community.
And they had the best corned beef sandwiches around!

This sandwich is my version 
of the sandwiches I ate as a kid ~
in fact my sister still brings me 
sandwiches like this when she visits.

Here's how I put it together:

 I buy good deli corned beef (you could use leftover corned beef if you're lucky enough to have some), good rye bread, Swiss cheese, cole slaw, mustard and Thousand Island dressing. And it doesn't hurt to have a good quality deli dill pickle to round things out.

I start by putting mustard on both slices of bread.

I pile one side with corned beef and one side with Swiss cheese. Now if you were at a real Jewish deli the corned beef would be piled at least twice this high (no wonder those sandwiches cost so much ~ they have about a half a pound of meat on them!), but I put enough on to be decadent without spoiling my enjoyment with guilt.

I like my sandwich a little warm so I put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. You may want to toast your bread and just warm the meat. It's really just a matter of taste ~ I would recommend the meat warmed.

I spread a thin layer of cole slaw on top of the cheese. This is my wimpy version of sauerkraut...but it is sweet and tastes good! On top of the cole slaw I put a thin layer of thousand island dressing ~ I didn't get a picture of that because I am a dork and I forgot!

I served it up with a thick and salty deli dill spear. Now this is the way to use up corned beef leftovers...or celebrate St. Patrick's Day ~ Deli Style!!

How do you use up your leftover corned beef? Sandwiches? Hash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise