Monday, March 12, 2012

Lemon Angel Bars with Raspberry Sauce


This pretty little dessert is the result of a Pinterest marathon.

Some days I get sucked into Pinterest, 
and it's a wonder anything else gets done around my house.

It caught my interest because it is a cake without a traditional frosting.
 Some of my taste testers are anti-frosting, 
so I always look for treats to fit their tastes.

I'll show you how I made it and then 
I'll let you know what my taste testers thought about it.

The cake itself couldn't be easier. There are only two ingredients, an angel food cake mix and a can of lemon pie filling.

 I stirred the two ingredients together in a bowl and then I transferred the mixture onto a 10x15 baking sheet that I had sprayed very lightly with PAM.

 I baked it for 20 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven. It came out golden brown on top. Immediately after removing it from the oven I sprinkled it with powdered sugar and set it aside to cool.

I cut the cake into squares and put two small squares on a plate.

I warmed a can of raspberry pie filling (in a bowl in the microwave) and spooned it over the lemon bars. Then I added a dollop of whipped topping.

That's it!
Pretty and easy...
but what did the taste tester's think?


 What was the taste tester's bottom line?
 I originally planned to make just lemon angel bars. They were okay, but the lemon flavor is not super strong and the texture is sort of spongy (from the angel food cake mix). I decided they needed something to make them a little more special. I had a can of raspberry pie filling in my pantry so I warmed it up. It makes a very pretty presentation and it was a great compliment to the lemon cake. My taste testers were very impressed. The littlest ones came up to me on the sly so their parents wouldn't see and asked if I would leave the leftovers (like I don't always?)...Shhhh...with a wink, I said "sure!"

The bottom line: Such an easy recipe, and it looks so special and went over so well...it's a keeper!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise