Saturday, February 11, 2012

Low Calorie Individual Cakes as Easy as 3-2-1

Pinterest is a wonderful place...I can wander aimlessly through pages and pages of other's best recipes and nifty ideas. I only recently became a member of Pinterest, and it's a good thing because I never would have had the kind of time I spend on that website when I was working. For those of you who aren't hooked on Pinterest, or don't have the hours to spend surfing...I will let you in on some of the best stuff.

Today's find is a neat trick for an individual serving of dessert called "3-2-1 Cake". And what's even better? Each serving is only 100 calories!


Here goes...Take one box of angel food cake mix and one box of any other flavor of cake mix (chocolate, lemon, butter pecan, etc). Mix the two dry mixes together and store in an airtight container. That's it! That's the basic mix.


When the you'd like a light snack or a late night craving hits you can satisfy it by counting down "3-2-1"...

Put 3 tablespoons of dry mix in a coffee mug.

Add 2 tablespoons of water.

Mix well.

Microwave for 1 minute.

That's it! You have an individual serving of warm satisfying cake with just 100 calories! Now, I have to admit my servings rarely stay at 100 calories because I usually add one of the following: a dollop of whipped topping, some fresh fruit, a few chocolate chips, some canned frosting, or some of the bottled glaze available in the baking supply aisle of the grocery store. And of course I enjoy a cold glass of milk with my warm cake.


This will never replace a luscious layer cake, or a donut from my favorite bakery, but when the sweet tooth strikes sometimes you have to make do with what you've got!

Hmmm...yummy, quick, low cal treat without a lot of leftovers...Mmmm works for me!!

What's the Taste Tester's Bottom Line?

There's just something about warm cake and cold milk. Everyone who tries this likes it. I will warn you it has a spongy appearance when you take it out of the microwave. But as I suggested, if you put whipped topping or fruit on it you'll never notice the difference. A favorite of my taste testers was putting about a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips on it right after you take it out of the microwave. Wait 2 minutes and you have a chocolate frosting. Another thing to keep in mind ~ the angel food cake dilutes the other cake's flavor. If you want a strong chocolate flavor use the darkest chocolate cake flavor you can find and you might want to add chocolate chips to the batter.

Bottom Line: I have an airtight container filled with the mix in my pantry right now, and I'm thinking of what flavor we'll try next!

4 comments:

  1. This would have solved my midnight "no sweets in the house" dilemma! Definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayden (7) just made it for me with strawberries and whipped cream. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like it. Let me know what toppings you like if you decide to make it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise