Friday, April 13, 2012

Impossible Coconut Pie


I know this is not a new recipe. If you look in just about any church or community cookbook you'll find some variation of this recipe. I find that these recipes seem to run in cycles. It's been quite a few years since it was popular so the younger generation has probably never tried it. (I can't believe I used a term like "the younger generation". It makes me feel so old!) This recipe is so easy and uses ingredients I usually have on hand. I can mix all the ingredients in a food processor. It makes its own crust so there's no flour all over my counter and no rolling pins needed. There are so many good reasons to like this recipe...not the least of these is the fact that it tastes so good!

I'll show you how I made it.

 I gathered the ingredients: 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup softened butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup sweetened coconut.

I put all the ingredients except the coconut in my food processor and processed it continuously for 10 seconds. Then I put the coconut in and processed it again for 5 seconds.




This is what it looked like after it was processed.

 I poured it into a deep dish pie pan I had sprayed with PAM. Then I put it in the oven preheated to 350 degrees for 45 minutes. The center jiggled a little when the time was up, but it continued to set up after it came out of the oven.

 When I took it out of the oven it was kind of puffy and light golden brown. I set it on a cooling rack and tried to stay out of it until it was cool enough to cut. 

 As it cools it "falls" and condenses into what looks like a custard. At this point I'm still trying to stay out of it until it cools...

 ...FAIL...I wasn't successful...I cut into it before it was completely cool...but it was wonderful, even warm! This pie magically forms a bottom crust, a middle custard, and a coconut top...Impossible!

What was the taste tester's bottom line?
Well, I know I like it...I wonder if there is any left?...GoodMan liked it...he had two pieces...he wonders if there's any left...

The bottom line:  Don't make this if you don't have a few people to share it with. It goes down way too easy...you can polish off two pieces without a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise