Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rice Krispie Easter Nests


I love holidays! I enjoy all of them...well maybe not "Scrub Your Bathroom Grout Day" but just about any other holiday. I really enjoy seeing the holiday through the eyes of my grandkids. I'm always looking for fun and easy decorations and treats to make good memories for my family. When I saw a picture of these little nests on Pinterest I had to try them for myself. The recipe originally came from Kellogg's.

This is my spin on this little treat:

 I put sweetened coconut in a ziplock bag and added green food coloring. I closed the bag up tight and then shook and kneaded the bag until the coconut turned green. 

 Next, I made a batch of Rice Krispie Treats using the recipe on the side of the Rice Krispie cereal box. The only change I made was I used 1/2 chocolate marshmallows because I had some left over after hot cocoa season and I figured it would give my nests a more natural color. In the future unless I have chocolate marshmallows to use up I will probably use all white marshmallows. Either way is fine.


I sprayed a mini muffin pan with PAM and quickly put about a rounded tablespoon of cooked cereal mixture in each cup. I sprayed my hands with PAM and pushed the mixture into the cups to form small nest shapes. This was a sticky, messy job! I wasn't sure if the end result was going to be worth the mess.

I sprinkled the green coconut into the cup and then added a couple of jelly beans to each nest. I think they came out quite cute...but what did the taste testers think?

What was the taste tester's bottom line?

I guess these pictures tell it all!

The bottom line: Although the Rice Krispie Treat recipe is messy to make, it is worthwhile when you see the happiness it brings to the taste testers!
Isn't that just too cute?!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise