Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Magic Bars

Recently my grandson came home from school
with a note asking for volunteers to bake
some kind of treat using coconut
for a party celebrating the end
of a unit on islands.

He REALLY wanted me to
 bake something for his class.

The first thing that came to mind was Magic Bars.

They've been around forever...
although it wasn't very original
it was easy, yummy, and contains coconut.

It didn't occur to me to take pictures of the process 
because I figured EVERYBODY knows how to make Magic Bars...

Boy, was I wrong!

The kids in my grandson's class 
really liked the treats,
and three moms asked for the recipe.

I guess not EVERYBODY has had Magic Bars...
Maybe it's time for the next generation to learn how easy they are to make.

I decided to make another batch for a weekend gathering coming up and I snapped pictures of the process for the moms who wanted the recipe.

Here goes:

 First, I prepared a 9x13 glass pan by covering it with aluminum foil with some excess on the ends. This helps to lift the bars out of the pan when they're done. I sprayed the foil lightly with PAM and preheated my oven to 350 degrees.
 
In a medium size bowl I combined 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs and 10 tablespoons of melted butter, then dumped the buttery crumbs into my prepared pan.
 I used an off-set spatula to press the buttery graham cracker crumbs into the bottom of my prepared pan.
 
 Then I sprinkled one cup of sweetened coconut on top.

And then I sprinkled 2 cups of chocolate chips on top. You can use 1 cup of butterscotch chips and 1 cup of chocolate chips ~ but I just used all chocolate.

Then I sprinkled chopped pecans liberally over the top. I would say I use about 1 1/2 cups of nuts. I like pecans, but walnuts work well too.
 And then I pour one can of sweetened condensed milk over the top. Now it's time to put it in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until it is golden on the edges.
 
 When it's done I set it on a rack to cool. After about 1/2 hour I lift the foil out of the pan and continue to let the bars cool before cutting.

The bars come out ooey, gooey, nutty, chocolatey, sweet, and scrumptious.
What else could you want from a treat?


This is my recipe for Magic Bars:


1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
10 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups semi-sweetened chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 can sweetened condensed milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9x13 glass pan by lining with foil with extra on the ends to use as handles to lift bars out after baking. Spray foil lightly with PAM.
In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter.
Press graham cracker mixture into the foil lined pan.
Sprinkle coconut on top of graham cracker mixture.
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of coconut.
Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of chocolate chips.
Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden.
Cool in the pan on a rack for 1/2 hour.
Use foil on edges as a handle and remove bars from the pan.
Cool the rest of the way on a wire rack before cutting into bars.

What is the taste tester's bottom line?
These have been a favorite of many families for many years. I'm almost embarrassed to write up this blog post ~ except for the fact that so many young moms in my grandson's class wanted the recipe. I guess it's time for my generation to pass the torch to the next generation.


The bottom line: Sometimes it's good to dust off some of the oldies-but-goodies!





What oldie-but-goodie recipe does your family like?


1 comment:

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise