Thursday, February 23, 2012

Omelets To-Go

Don't these look cute...

And yummy...

And easy?

Well, they are ~ all of the above!


We call these "Omelets To-Go" or "Omelet Muffins". Each is a one-egg omelet and can be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen and then reheated in a microwave for a quick breakfast on the go. They also work perfect as a make-ahead option for your holiday breakfasts, and we found them to be great on a recent family trip in a hotel room with a microwave. 

These omelets are so easy to make and are easily adaptable for different tastes. Just as with a regular omelet, there is almost no end to the possibilities for add-ins. We like to use crumbled sausage, shredded cheese and sliced green onion, but you can use bacon, ham, no meat, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, green pepper, regular onion, Swiss cheese, no cheese, you get the idea...there is no end to the possibilities. You can also make these as egg white omelets if you're avoiding the extra fat and cholesterol in the yolks.

These omelets were one of the first things I tried after I started researching recipes on Pinterest. This one comes from a website called "kalynskitchen.com". On that website they say these can be made in a regular muffin pan using two cupcake papers. I have never tried it that way. I invested in some silicone cupcake cups one day while I was shopping at IKEA. They work so well and the omelets come out so nice. I highly encourage you to use silicone. They can be hard to find, but I understand you can find them at Michael's and on Amazon.

Here is how I do it:

 I start by gathering the ingredients. For this batch I used ground sausage, shredded cheese, and green onions. Of course you'll also need one egg per omelet you plan to make as well as seasoned salt and any other seasoning you'd like in your omelet.

Next, I got my silicone muffin cups and put them on a large cookie sheet lined with foil. I line the pan with foil because I tend to drip some of the egg mixture and it makes clean up soooo much easier. You don't have to make 2 dozen at a time. You can make as many or as few as you choose.

I browned the sausage on the top of the stove and then drained off all the fat. When I use bacon I cook it first and make sure I drain it well and chop it into pieces.

I put the sausage in the bottom of the muffin cups. One pound of bulk sausage was a good amount for 24 muffins.


I sprinkled shredded cheese on top of the sausage. I think I used about a tablespoon per muffin.

 Okay, I forgot to take a picture of the next step...but I'm sure you've seen it before...in a large glass measuring cup with a pour spout, I whisked one egg  per cup (in this case I whisked 24 eggs) and I added the seasoned salt. Then I poured the egg mixture over the meat and cheese till about 3/4 of the way full. I took kitchen scissors and cut the green onions over each cup.

 Then I took a fork and gave each omelet a stir to distribute the ingredients throughout (this is where I really need the foil to catch all the little drips).
 I put them in the oven preheated to 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, until the egg is not runny and they puff up a little bit (they will fall back down when they cool).

 When they have cooled, I put them in freezer bags and freeze them, or in this case I was taking them to a weekend get away at Great Wolf Lodge so I put them in an airtight container and put them in a cooler to keep them cold until we could put them in the refrigerator in our room. The next morning we warmed them individually in the microwave for about 40 seconds on high.

This is the official recipe:

For 12 muffins ~

12 eggs, beaten
1 tsp seasoned salt (or you could try Mrs. Dash seasoning to reduce the sodium)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 pound bulk sausage; crumbled, browned and drained
1 bunch of green onions
other meats, cheeses, and vegetables to taste (all meats should be pre-cooked and vegetables should be pre-cooked or at least blanched)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put meat, vegetables, and cheese in the muffin cups (if using silicone there is no need to grease the cups ~ if using regular muffin pans use two paper liners per cup.)
Mix seasoned salt into the beaten eggs. Use the egg mixture to fill the muffin cups 3/4 full (should just cover the other fillings).
Give each cup a small stir to distribute the ingredients.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until eggs are set and omelets puff up a little bit.
Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from cups.
Store in the refrigerator or freezer, then reheat in the microwave.


What's the taste tester's bottom line?

These have been very popular with my family. I've purchased 2 more sets of silicone muffin cups for friends and family who liked these enough to make them too. One of my sons has been working out of the state, away from his family, and he makes these to have on evenings when he is not in the mood to cook dinner for himself.
Bottom line: These are worth the investment in silicone muffin cups!  


2 comments:

  1. This would be super easy and super healthy using egg-beaters ... and still just as tasty! When Rick and I go on a trip and spend the night at a motel, I take boiled eggs and muffins and orange juice for breakfast. This would be another option for breakfast so we don't have to eat out for that meal too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonell, You're right. I have a friend who uses 1 egg yolk for every 3 egg whites to cut down on the calories/fat/cholesterol. And we often put in veggies like spinach, mushrooms, onions, and broccoli. I think Nathan is becoming a pro at this while he is working out of state. He works out a lot and does mixed martial arts. This packs enough protein to keep him going.

      Let me know how it works for you.
      Denise

      Delete

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise