Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Not Done Until It's Done

A mountain of clean pots and pans 
are stacked on my kitchen counter.

Three baskets of clean and folded laundry
take up space on my bedroom floor.

There's a vacuum sitting quietly on my clean livingroom rug.

I've been working hard all day...as anyone would be able to tell
just by looking at the evidence I've left behind.

Why is it I can wash the stack of pots and pans,
but not put them in their cupboards?

Why is it I can wash, dry, and fold the laundry,
but not put them in their dresser drawers?

Why is it I can haul the vacuum out and vacuum the livingroom rug,
but I leave the vacuum in a corner of the room?

Like a child looking for some recognition...

I see my counter of clean dishes and sigh as I think,
"What a good job that was!
 Look how much work I did today."

I see all the clean laundry folded in the baskets and I think,
"Wow, that took a lot of time!
Good job Denise, you sure were busy today!"

I see the vacuum standing at attention and it says to me,
"Today is the day the vacuuming was done!
You don't have to do that again for a while."

I need to remind myself...

The dishes aren't done until they are put away.

The laundry isn't done until it is put away.

The vacuuming isn't done until the vacuum is put away.

It's not done until it's done.


(Sometimes acting like a grown-up is a drag.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comments. Although it looks like you have to be a member or leave an email address, you can just leave those fields blank if you'd prefer to be anonymous.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
Denise